Upgrade .NET Core RC to 1.0

With the release of Visual Studio Code 1.0, I decided to upgrade .NET Core to the latest version. However, the older version was not properly replaced when upgrading, which did cause Visual Studio Code and Omnisharp to behave quite strange.

After installing .NET Core 1.0 from here and upgrading Visual Studio Code from here, I created a new .NET Core project with these lines:

mkdir hwapp
cd hwapp
dotnet new
dotnet restore
dotnet run

At first, the project seemed to run without any problems. However, when I opened it in Visual Studio Code, I immediately received warnings that the project could not load, that the project missed an .sln file, that Omnisharp could not find the “default” runtime etc. etc.

After investigating this strange behavior, I found that older versions of dnx and dnvm were not properly installed and conflicted with the new setup.

I tried to solve this by upgrading dnvm, removing all old versions and reinstalling the latest versions, but this did not work.

In order to get the new setup to work, I also had to specify an alias:

dnvm update-self
dnvm list -detailed
dnvm uninstall VERSION -r coreclr
dnvm uninstall VERSION -r mono
dnvm install latest -r coreclr -alias default
dnvm install latest -r mono -alias default

After this, I could start Visual Studio Code and run Omnisharp without problems.