I finally made it! After years and years of “I really shouldn’t”, I have finally managed to abandon my old hosting provider and move all my sites to GitHub.
For years, I have had to use FTP to update my different web sites, since my old hosting provider hasn’t kept up. This has had the effect that I have not updated my sites that often, since it has been a hassle. In a world where I enjoy using git almost everywhere, these old ways had to end.
Since this decision was made just before my hosting contract was about to end, I was in a rush to get this in place. This was perfect, since it forced me to get it done, instead of spending another year in FTP hell. I thus decided to freeze my sites and push them to GitHub as static web sites. Since GitHub lets you use custom domain names for free, this was a golden start.
At first, I decided to disable
Jekyll for all sites (more on that later), since
it is enabled by default and I didn’t have time to learn it before my hosting got
cancelled. However, as I finished moving my sites, I decided to to dig into this
great tool and enable it for this web site as a start.
It’s rather ironic that I’ve spent so much time on refining my sytem development skills, just to end up with a static site generator, but you have to be pragmatic and pick the best tool for the job. In this case, Jekyll is awesome.
With all this in place, I will begin to move my blog from Wordpress to this site
as well. Wordpress has been terrible for writing about tech and code. Instead, I
will now use Jekyll and write posts using
MarkDown. It will be a huge relief.
Until I have completed the tedious task of moving the entire blog from Wordpress, my old posts can be found at Wordpress.
All the best