With the release of Visual Studio Code 1.0, I decided to upgrade the .NET Core software I had installed to the latest version. However, the older versions were not properly replaced when upgrading, which did cause Visual Studio Code and Omnisharp to behave quite strange.
At first, the project seemed to run without any problems. However, when I opened it in Visual Studio Code, I immediately received warnings that the project could not load, that the project missed an .sln file, that Omnisharp could not find the “default” runtime etc. etc.
After investigating this strange behavior, I found that older versions of dnx and dnvm were not properly installed and conflicted with the new setup.
I tried to solve this by upgrading dnvm, removing all old versions and reinstalling the latest versions, but this did not work.
In order to get the new setup to work, I also had to specify an alias:
After this, I could start Visual Studio Code and run Omnisharp without problems.