MacBook swollen battery
27 Jan 2010
I have previously written about my numerous problems with my new, white MacBook, which I purchased in August 2007. For instance:
- the fan roared like a truck
- the audio port shone with a red light and thought that I had plugged in an optical device (which I had not)
- the audio port enabling optical mode turned of all sounds from the internal speaker
- the chassi cracked(!)
- the color wheel of death appeared every now and then, freezing the computer
- the computer stopped waking up from sleep
- the computer stopped recognizing my hard drive and displayed a ? when booting up
Fortunately, I documented all these problems with pictures and videos while they were happening and wrote a long issue report. When the last problem occured, the report proved very handy. The support person I sent the computer to doubted that I would get the errors accepted as a reclamation, but as I handed him the report, he said that it improved my chances drastically.
And so it did…obviously, since I got the computed repaired. After that, it has worked like a charm. That is, until the battery did swell up. I didn’t notice it at first, but after a small bump in the battery, things quickly became worse.
Before I knew it, the battery stood out quite a bit from the computer. Apple did NOT accept this complaint, so I had to buy a new one. I luckily found a reseller that sold unofficial batteries for half the price, which is probably why the new battery did not work as I had hoped.
I will write about this in the next entry…the green/orange color toggle problem.